Sunday, February 26, 2006

CAPTAIN AMERICA FINAL!


"Final" as in ran out of time and this will have to do. This is not what I wanted to do with this one, but it was due to Drawergeeks (www.drawergeeks.com) for Friday and I went out of town Thursday, so even less time. I really wanted to do some color on this. AND fix some stuff in the inks. DON"T even look at the shield....oh great, now you're looking aren't you....I told you. I did it all freehand with a Pitt brush marker and then ran out of time to even do the Photoshop fixes I wanted to. More disappointment. One day I'd love to do this "ultimate" Cap drawing I have in my head, I just don't know what it is yet. This one isn't it, but it's getting closer. I think this mythical "ultimate" version is more cartoony than this one too. Anyway, this one is at a point I can call it done and go onto something else. As my animation mentor, Mark Henn, used to say, "Make this scene as good as you can in the time you have and then move onto another one. Make the next one even better than this one and have more scenes in the movie rather than one perfect, short scene."

PS. On my biz trip to Indiana to speak at Huntington College, I met Dennis Jones, the great cartoony illustrator! He lives in that little town and came to my lecture. I had one of my character design books with me and he had a sketchbook with him. It didn't take me long to figure out a good trade (for me anyways, I hope he's happy too.). He happened to have a sketchbook page with his version of Superman and Captain America on it! I had to have it! Thanks Dennis! (www.dj-art.com)

7 comments:

kevin micallef said...

Tom...love your work..always very strong!

Doug said...

my, my... it's a small world isn't it? So how did you end up in Huntington in the first place? I'm sure Dennis was happy to have someone else in town that could actually draw.

I was wondering if you have ever had a book signing here at B&N or Borders? I'd come by and say Hi.

Jeremiah Alcorn said...

I think the inks look really nice man. Personally I enjoy seeing little imperfections here and there, so I wouldn't sweat the shield so much. Let's the rest of us know that you're human too. :) Hope trip to Huntington went well. Lookin' forward to the next post!

Tom Bancroft said...

Hey Jonesy, I was up there by the invite of a couple former Big Idea friends that are now profs at Huntington setting up their CG and illustration classes. It was fun and nice to meet your bro. Never had a book signing at B/N or Borders, we've thought about it though. Drop me an email and we can have you come by the studio-even better!

Heath said...

I'm agree with Miah, I like the little imperfections especially in lines. Really great pose and inking!

Scott Tolleson said...

Nice work Tom! I bought your Character Design book Saturday. I haven't had a chance to sit and really dissect it yet but what I saw was Spectacular.

K.B. said...

That is great advice from Mark. I'm glad you shared it. It's good to keep in mind for drawing and illustrations as well.I have to kick myself and try to remember that.It's hard to let go.Especially with the eagle eye anal scrutiny of an ex clean up guy.