Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hana and TOMO



These are a couple images from a comic book property we co-created with a Disney alum friend Andrew Simmons called "Tomo". The one with all the body shots are different versions of Hana that I created as we were trying to design her. The other "expressions" models are more of the final (at the time) with some different expressions to "road test" the design. We are about to ink a deal with Zondervan (a Christian book publisher) to create a manga series of "Tomo". It's a whole new world for us, but pretty exciting also. Andrew is writing the series and Rob and I are going to Art direct/oversee it. Because of our busy schedules, we can't draw such a mammoth project (each issue is 150 pages!) but we think we are narrowing in on someone(s) that may be able to do it. It will be much more traditional Manga style than the above designs. These are just were it started.

5 comments:

Jeremy Spears said...

Cedric plugged your book and I'm glad he did, I don't know if I would have known. Congrats, I will have to check it out. I know of your artwork, I love my VEGGIES! Anyways I have a question for you. I graduated last year as an Illustrator from Cal State Long Beach I was thinking about going back to school to Cal Arts for animation, maybe for a year or two, I have alot of reasons for going but it is so costly, I figure the best thing I can do right now is have a sketchbook and USE IT! I know it still comes down to what you can draw. So what are your thoughts, as you are Alumni.
Great artwork, I would like to link you to my blog!

-Jeremy

Jason C said...

Man.. there's soo much flow in your work...very nice...

Jeremiah Alcorn said...

Man those sketches on top are great Tom. I really like the attitude of the pose with her hands on her hips. Great stuff sir.

Tom Bancroft said...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind comments. Jeremy, you asked some questions about going to Calarts.....I have mixed emotions about it. I looked at your blog and I can see you can already draw well. You've also already gone through a whole program at CSLB (I grew up in Long Beach!), so I'm not sure how much you will gain from CalArts that you aren't doing on your own. The other side is that CalArts is a GREAT place to have graduated from! The people you went to school with and your teachers are people that end up getting you jobs out of school. That's really what you pay for there. It's a lot to pay for though. Personally, I'd say make your own connections, show your portfolio around, take a YEAR and make it the best one anyone's ever seen! That will get you into studios more than CalArts. Hope this helps.

Darryl Young said...

Beautiful designs!