Sunday, August 27, 2006

Chris Sanders-ish


I just got the Chris Sanders Sketchbook that he was selling at the San Diego Comic con. It's nice to have sitting around for a week or so as I'm snowed under with work. I pick it up from time to time and get a inspired. The other day, I did what I wish I did more often, I did a little 'warm up' sketch. A lot of these great comic artists seem to have time for 'warm up' sketches before they start their busy day. I do that and I feel guilty somehow. I guess that's the difference between being the business owner and working for a big company with deep pockets. :) Anyway, Chris is very talented and an interesting person. In my opinion, he's a genius when it comes to story. I'm not always sure they are stories that the average person will want, but they are always well crafted and slightly skewed. I don't mean that in a a mean way, it's just his viewpoint is different from most because of what he likes and doesn't like. 'Course, that's all of us isn't it?

I enjoy analyzing peoples styles and drawing techniques. That's what this sheet is. Just fun.

9 comments:

Randy said...

When I draw little kids, they almost always have a little bit of Lilo in them, most the arms and legs, with the pudgy joints.

I love that style, I should do it more...

Oh yeah, good work, Tom. Nice sketch. :)

~R

Todd Oman said...

Very nice Tom, I picked up Sanders little book at the con as well, very cool stuff.

Dee Fish said...

I never get to go to the cons with the GOOD stuff! That said, excellent sketches... it certainly has the feel of Sanders' work, which I love. It so tremendously organic and lively.

blah said...

She's so cute! Warming up is a good thing - just wish there was more time for it ^_^

Andrew Chan said...

nice sketches tom! i was wondering if your studio does internship? i am heading into my 2nd year in animation but am looking for some co-op opportunities to get some work experience as a volunteer but i am not too sure where to look yet!

Scott Warren said...

Really nice work on this blog. Those are incredible Sanders-style sketches.

mike said...

yup, very chris sandersy!

i picked up that book while i was there too. cool stuff. was even able to convince him to draw a little doodle in it. :)

Sarah Satrun said...

very cool! you really captured his style!

Abz said...

Loving this! ;) really cool stuff here- feel free to pop by- and oh, i dont know,perhaps follow me? :P

cheers bro!